Saturday, February 7, 2015

Sunday, May 01, 2011 "American Way"

Sunday, May 01, 2011

"American Way"

First From Julie's Keyboard:

Doesn't this world just seem to get a bit more strange by the day?  The escalation of trouble in this world and the lives of people all over the globe is simply astounding!  One of the many things we might notice in this is just how tied we are "as Christians" to this way of living.

After all, aren't we only "pilgrims passing through such a place as this?"  Should we operate our lives each day in panic mode and fear of what's taking place around us?  Should I be sure to line my cellars with canned goods and build my own little fortress to protect "me and mine" in hard times?

While we certainly have instruction in God's Word to walk in His Wisdom, and consider the ant and be wise, what should be our greatest level of concern regarding the issues of living in this world?

In thinking along these lines and seeking counsel from the Heavenly Father, I believe He would remind us of who He is within His children.  With the nature of Christ Himself within the life of any believer, this world is no threat.  Our all providing God is More Than Enough to not only sustain us in a time of trouble, but to put us over the top with His hand of blessing.

Sure it's a sign of wisdom to prepare for the things we know are at hand.  But, my point today is that there is only so much that one can do physically to prepare for the sure round of events that will come in days ahead.  Our hope and confidence must be in Christ, and Christ alone.

That sounds so "preachy," doesn't it?  Yet, it's the truth!  He told us to take His yoke upon us and to learn of Him.  His yoke is easy and His burden is light.  I think I'd rather go through this place with Him, as opposed to how I might fair in my own venues.

Today, I would leave you with some Scripture for meditation to go along these lines of thought.
Remember the only true place of peace in this life is found in Him.  Anything else that offers a solution is a deception.  May we walk in His wisdom.

Matthew 11:28-30 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Revelation 3:10 "Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth."

I Thessalonians 5:5-9 "Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.  Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.  For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.  But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.  For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ."

Have a blessed week,
Julie


******************************
http://spiritualheritage.blogspot.com/

"American Way"

I have written about this before, but it has been brought to mind again this week.  Do you remember Superman.  Yes, its Superman, able to leap tall building in a single bound, more powerful than a locomotive, faster than a speeding bullet.  It's Superman, who disguised as a mild mannered reporter Clark Kent, fights a never ending battle for truth and justice the American way.

Superman came to us in 1938, by 1959 when I came along he was still going strong.  By the mid and late 1960's I was grabbing my Mom's towels and wrapping them around my neck with my Mom pinning it on with a safety pin, or what we called "baby pin".  Then I off to the back porch where I flew down to the back yard.  I would spend the evening saving the helpless, defending the needy, doing good to all mankind. 

If you remember this era you remember Superman standing there hands on his hips with his cape blowing in the wind and the American flag waving in the back ground.

Truth, Justice and the American way!  At that young age I no idea what American history held or where our foundation was laid.  As far as I new it had always been here, but I new one thing, there was a thing called the "American way" and it had to do with Truth and Justice, it was something good, very good.  It was a way of life where those who were strong helped those who were weak.  Our Superheros in today's media do good things, but they many times get there by not so good means.  But our Superman, the end did not justify the means, the means was a way of life that determined the end.  He was good, both in deed and action.

Well' I heard this week on Foxnews that Superman is renouncing his U.S. citizenship. According to Action Comics Superman in an interview Wednesday of last week stated, "I intend to speak before the United Nations tomorrow and inform them that I am renouncing my U.S. citizenship."

Superman continued by saying, "I'm tired of having my actions construed as instruments of United States."

"Truth, Justice, and the American way, it's not enough anymore."  Apparently he as an alien refugee has not been treated right by America and he is going to be telling the United States they are no more important than any other country on earth.  It has not been determined yet the fate of the red and blue suit, but the phase 'Truth, Justice and the American Way" will be stricken from his endeavors.

I knew we were in trouble, but now that we have lost Superman, what will we do?

You might be thinking right now, "David, have you lost it, what has this to do with the Founding Fathers?" 

As you well know, a society and it's culture are reflected in its entertainment, literature, and arts.  This move of Superman is just another indicator of our cultural move away from what we have known as the "American Way."

I know as we move away from our religious heritage and the influence it has had on our society we think we know a better way.  The old way was too confining and conforming to a certain way of thinking.  It placed too many restrictions upon our behavior, but I fear in our search for our freedoms, we have lost their only support.

Pro 16:25 There is a way that seems right to people, but that way leads only to death. - ERV version

Massachusetts Grand Jury 1802 - "The laws of the Christian system, as embraced by the Bible, must be respected as of high authority in all our courts and it cannot be thought improper for the officers of such government to acknowledge their obligation to be governed by its rule . . . .

Our Government originating in the voluntary compact of a people who in that very instrument profess the Christian religion, it may be considered, not as republic Rome was, a Pagan, but a Christian republic." - - - - "Our Christian Heritage," Letter from Plymouth Rock (Marlborough, NH: The Plymouth Rock Foundation), pp. 4-5.

May God bless each of you,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive