Saturday, February 7, 2015

Saturday, December 03, 2011 "The Morning Fireplace"

Saturday, December 03, 2011

"The Morning Fireplace"

First From Julie's Keyboard:

What Have You "Purposed" in Your Heart?

This question was prompted in me from a study of the 1st chapter in the book of Daniel.  If you're familiar with the account,  you know that Daniel (and the other three children of Judah) were among the well favored children, skillful, full of wisdom, cunning knowledge, and without blemish.  Sounds like a promising background, don't you think?  In other words, the elite, or best of the best was to be trained for the king.

Well, as provision for feeding these fellows would go, the king would have them eat his cuisine (again, the best of the best).  However, it seems Daniel had another dietary plan to stick with.
You see, I'm getting to the heart of the matter now.  Daniel had purposed in his heart that regardless of what place in this earthly kingdom he would hold,  he would not defile himself with the "king's meat."  The issue here of course, is that the foods on the king's menu did not hold with the Mosaic Laws for eating.  Daniel would not dishonor his covenant with his God.

Bring these thoughts home today.  Just as Daniel "purposed in his heart" to obey the Law of God, how "purposed" are we today in our walk in Christ?  Can we be bought with the dainties of this world?  Is there an appeal holding us in fasination as pertaining to the lusts of this life?  Is there a promise of recognition in some way that tends to turn our heads from the purpose?

It seems the Bible would teach us that in order to stay "purposed in heart" we must daily crucify the flesh and its affections.  Trusting God to provide His Spirit as a Comfort and Guide through this life will empower us to live in victory just as Daniel, and his three friends, did in this instance. 

We know the account of how Daniel and the others "proved" the faithfulness of God by eating what God said they should eat.  These young men were given such favor as none other.  Their wisdom, skill and knowledge surpassed any among them.  Oh, to have the favor of an Almighty God! 

What is the "purpose of your heart" today?  Find the Truth in His Word for you and follow it.  His "blessing addeth no sorrow" with it.  He's faithful to reward obedience.  In the words of a great song, "Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus.  Just to take Him at His Word."  There's a stanza in this song about ...."how I've proved Him oer and oer."  Is this your testimony today?

Purpose to always honor Him.

Have a blessed week,

Julie

Scripture References:

Daniel chapter 1

Proverbs 10:22 "The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it."

Galatians 5:24,25 "And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
If we live in the Spirit, let us also wak in the Spirit."
****************************

"The Morning Fireplace"

As I sit here typing this morning the sun has not yet began to break the early darkness, and you may find this to be the most off subject and out of context gathering of thoughts I have posted to date.  I am usually reading at this time in the mornings, drinking my coffee and peering into the fireplace from time to time to contemplate and process the thoughts that are being generated. 

This morning my thoughts were strangely focused upon a most unusual subject and friend of mine.  In the most unusual way this friend has become most dear to me, we have never met and I have never heard his voice, but over the years we have become friends over my blog post and comments.  I suppose our friendship developed over sharing our mutual agreements and thoughts on America and Freedom. 

I can't remember just how we crossed each others path, but the paths crossed before I ever established this blog, back then I was just sending out some thoughts on email and posting some thoughts on an obscure personal page that came with the provider of my ip service (that was before this blog thing ever caught on).  I suppose it must have been through one of those venues.

Over the years this friend had shared with me some most inspirational thoughts that I have from time to time even shared at church.  But some time back he made it known to me that he had come to the understanding and reasoning that the Bible was not true, perhaps that God did exist, but not in the form described in the Bible or any other religious book.  I know the Bible says, "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; . . ." but I just never thought they would be my friends. 

He is even entertaining the idea of extraterrestrial orgin for our existence, and life on other planets.  The possibility that life was somehow brought here from other worlds and beings.  Now understand, I am not making light of this reasoning, for I understand this view is gaining popularity around the world and the fascination with UFO phenomenon is growing.  And I will be the first to admit there are some strange and unexplainable occurrences out there.  I just believe the answers are found in the Bible text.

We all of course must examine our faith and what we believe and why we believe it, the Bible itself commends us to "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; . . ." II Cor. 13:5.

By now you are probably thinking I need to quit peering in the fireplace, your probably right!  But as I thought on these things I tried to understand how my friend could come to such a conclusion.  I wondered, perhaps had he been given an incorrect understanding over the years of God, one that gave such a disappointment as to cause an abandonment from Him?  Had he developed an idea of God in his own mind that just couldn't explain the circumstances in his life, and left him void? 

I tried to see through to his understanding, but other questions kept clouding my view.  

Where does our imperfections come from? 

Why is there not one person on the face of this globe who has not done something wrong to someone else?  (or in all of history for that matter)

Why is there not one person on the face of this globe who is old enough to talk who has not told a lie? 

Why is Freedom not natural, why must it always be fought for and with great effort maintained? 

Why is society not naturally good, why must we confine ourselves in with boundaries by laws to maintain peace and safety?  

How is it that we are able to some varying degrees recognize what is right, but are unable to do it?  Where is the man or woman who has never committed a wrong action?

If we evolved by accident, did we evolve a sense of right and wrong by accident also?  For there to be a knowledge of right and wrong that has to be a standard somewhere, where did that standard come from? How is our conscience aware of it? "That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world." John 1:9
Some call these imperfections sin, why is there not one person without it?

You would think of all we see in our universe, if it were all by chance, then by chance, over the billions of years and billions of people, there would have been one!  (Of course my faith tells me there was one)

If we were somehow brought here by Aliens from outer space, if they are like us, we are in a heap of trouble if they ever come back!  Would you just for a moment imagine a being or beings with that kind of power filled with our corruption!

Even in religion, you find that most Deities are in nature like us, difficult to please and unpredictable.  If God was truly in nature like us, he would surely have destroyed us a long time ago and made himself a new toy or pet to play with. 

I have read much, talked with atheist, looked at religions and various faiths, the only place I can find truth, the only place I can find answers are in the Bible. 

Now for a moment to go beyond my reasoning, why is it my acceptance of the God of the Bible and His testimony of His Son Jesus Christ, and the repentance of my own inabilities (sins) worked a work in me that I cannot put into words?  "The gospel, when rightly understood and received, sets the heart against all sin, and stops the allowed practice of it; at the same time it gives blessed relief to the wounded consciences of those who have sinned." - - - Matthew Henry. (1Jn 2:3-11)

Why is it that now I feel free from myself, saved from myself per-say?  Where did this salvation come from?

I mentioned earlier about the consequences of passing on my faith to my children, but what if the Bible is right?  Where have I made the greater mistake?  Leading them to become Christians, to which our founders believed to make us good citizens; or leading them to be agnostics and live and die in there imperfections (sins) and face the judgment of a righteous God and Creator?

Well, that it is, I had an entirly different idea for the post this week, but this one seemed to overtake it.  Maybe next week we will continue our trek across our American history.  As for this week, you ask your own questions, see where you find your answers!

May God bless each of you,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive