Saturday, February 7, 2015

"Great men in Weakness" 12/6/2014


Picture
 First From Julie's keyboard:

Weak Men that will never be Great

Having only seen the title of my husbands post for this week, this strange title for these thoughts came to mind, yet in no way is  intended to counter anything he has posted.  Especially since it hasn't been read for now, but because this has been a week of note for such issues.

When we speak of weakness in men, we know that can vary to any degree.  There are those who stumble in a moment of weakness.  There are those who are weak in the faith and slow to grow toward spiritual maturity.  Yet, there are also those who are simply weak human beings in emotion, mentality, and purpose in this life.  My thoughts today tend to deal with the latter.

Granted, we may not prefer to think of ourselves as weak, but we are indeed.  According to Scripture, this is by some means an asset to us in our spiritual life.  When we are weak, then our Savior is strong.  How true the declaration that " Except for His grace, there go I."  Without Him we are nothing to speak of.  But, because of Him, He's given us ready access to abundant graces.

Maybe you've had challenges in your week from dealing with a person, or people, who are repetitive in their weak habitual behavior.  This can be stressful.  Clear cut answers to these matters aren't always available, and before you know it, you're ready to respond with some attitude of weakness yourself.  However, this is where our provision of the Savior in our weakness shines the brightest.  We must go to Him.  We are no match for the issues of this world and the circumstances that we and our loved ones encounter in our own strength.

The truth is that we've been bought with a price.  We are not our own.  We have been told to glorify our God with these bodies of ours and in whatever circumstance being pitched our way.  If He is sought for counsel, you can rest assured He will provide the needed answer.  It may, or may not, be according to our preference.  But, when we're at one with Him, His preference will be ours.

Scripture References:

II Cor. 12:9,10 "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

II Cor. 13:4 "For though He was crucified through weakness, yet he liveth by the power of God.  For we also are weak in Him, but we shall live with Him by the power of God toward you."

I Cor. 6:19,20 "What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?  For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."


He's more than enough for any challenge you may face.  Isn't this good news?

Have a blessed "week,"

Julie
__________________________________________________
"Great men in Weakness"

Picture
 "O Most glorious God, in Jesus Christ my merciful & loving father, I acknowledge and confess my guilt, in the weak and imperfect performance of the duties of this day. 

I have called on these for pardon and forgiveness of sins, but so coldly & carelessly, that my prayers are become my sin and stand in need of pardon.  I have heard thy holy word, but with such deadness of spirit that I have been an unprofitable and forgetful hearer, so that O Lord, tho' I have done thy work, yet it hath been so negligently that I may rather expect a curse than a blessing from thee.

But, O God, who are rich in mercy and plenteous in redemption, mark not, I beseech thee, what I have done amiss, remember I am but dust, and remit my transgressions, negligences & ignorances, and cover them all with the absolute obedience of thy dear Son, that those sacrifices which I have offered my be accepted by thee, in and for the sacrifice Jesus Christ offered upon the cross for me; for his sake, ease me of the burden of my sins, and give me grace that by the call of the Gospel I may rise from the slumber of sin unto newness of life.

Let me live according to those holy rules which thou hast this day prescribed in thy holy word; make me to know what is acceptable in thy sight, and therein to delight.  Open the eyes of my understanding, and help me thoroughly to examine myself concerning my knowledge, faith and repentance.

Increase my faith, and direct me to the true object Jesus Christ the way, the truth and life, bless, O Lord, all the people of this land, from the highest to the lowest, particularly those whom thou hast appointed to rule over us in church & state, continue thy goodness to me this night.  These weak petitions I humbly implore thee to hear accept and answer for thy Dear Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen." ~ Daily Sacrifice

The prayer above along with several others was discovered in 1891 among other relics that were offered for sale by Washington's descendents. They are thought to be in Washington's own handwriting by some scholars and not so by others.  Since there is no signature it simply is not known for sure if these are George Washington's  own writings or someone Else's.  This is not to argue either way but to consider the prayer itself as it is a prayer common for that time.

In it is acknowledged the weakness of frame and imperfection of our nature, so much so it is considered and recognized that the state and condition of the heart during the moment of prayer itself is offered with such cold and careless manner that that in it's  self is sin. 

Picture
 It is argued by some that praying in this fashion does great harm to the place Christ has placed us in through His redemptive work.  I would argue it magnifies His work above all else, for only when we see Him for who He is can we really see ourselves as the sinful creatures we are and the weakness in which we abide. 

It is there we lay hold of His Grace that He may lift us up each day to abide in His presence.  I once heard a man say, "There are no great men of God, only weak and sinful men who serve a Great and mighty God".  I think the founders of this nation understood this as well, they were not great because of who they were, they were great because of the Grace of God that had been given them to do and fulfill His good pleasure.

The Great Apostle Paul said in Co 15:10  But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

As we look back over our history, we see a record of such men building such a nation, for all that we have been and become has been as a result of Grace given or Grace withheld to work his good pleasure and purpose through us.  

As we remember tomorrow the attack upon Pearl Harbor December 7th, 1941, it should be remembered in light of all countless moments of Grace bestowed.  History is full of Grace to undeserved sinful men.


Picture On April 18,1942, Jake DeShazer was one of the Jimmy Doolittle Squadron bombardiers, and was filled with elation at getting his revenge upon the Japanese for the Pearl Harbor attack.  After the bombing raid, they flew on towards China, but ran out of fuel and were forced to parachute into Japanese held territory.

The next morning, DeShazer found himself a prisoner of Japan. During the next forty long months in confinement, DeShazer was cruelly treated. He recalls that his violent hatred for the maltreating Japanese guards almost drove him insane at one point. But after twenty-five months there in Nanking, China, the U.S. prisoners were given a Bible to read.

DeShazer, not being an officer, had to let the others use it first. Finally, it came his turn for three weeks. There in the Japanese P.O.W. camp, he read and read and eventually came to understand that the book was more than an historical classic. Its message became relevant to him right there in his cell.

The dynamic power of Christ which Jake DeShazer accepted into his life changed his entire attitude toward his captors. His hatred turned to love and concern, and he resolved that should his country win the war and he be liberated, he would someday return to Japan to introduce others to this life-changing book.

DeShazer did just that, after some training at Seattle Pacific College, he returned to Japan as a missionary.

Our lives are filled with hatred and envy of one another, our families are broken and our lives fractured because of the sin in our lives.  Our history tells us of the sinfulness of our nature through all the wars and injustice that have occurred at the hand of men.  This new modern world of ours is no better, for we are no less fallen than any of those before us, yet we still see the Grace of God abound.  A man full of hate is filled with a heart of love for the very one he hated, only by the Grace of God.  A nation divided is brought together only by the Grace of God.  A world in need of hope is given hope by the Grace of God alone.

If you think you are good and have achieved great things for humanity, or even just a good person that is a blessing to their family, your pride is evident of your fallen nature, for only in Christ and the Grace of God have you any good at all. 

So, as petition of the prayer above gave, ". . . O God, who are rich in mercy and plenteous in redemption, mark not, I beseech thee, what I have done amiss, remember I am but dust, and remit my transgressions, negligences & ignorances, and cover them all with the absolute obedience of thy dear Son, that those sacrifices which I have offered my be accepted by thee, in and for the sacrifice Jesus Christ offered upon the cross for me; for his sake, ease me of the burden of my sins, and give me grace that by the call of the Gospel I may rise from the slumber of sin unto newness of life."

May the Grace of God be to each of you,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive